Job Title: Executive Personal Assistant to the Chief of Staff for family office
Location: Based out of San Francisco, CA
Environment: Residential family office, informal but professional. Work with a long-term staff in support of the residences, principal, family and extended family. Ability to take direction from the principal and COS as well as working independently.
This individual must have a history of working around confidential information and keeping all work and information as such.
Residence: The main residence is in San Francisco and is approximately 10,000 plus square feet. Principal also has two other properties that need financial documentation and reporting.
- Main Residence:
- Chief of Staff – overseeing family office and philanthropic work
- Two long term housekeepers in main residence
- Household Manager/Personal Assistant
- Grounds’ staff
- Grounds crew (3 full-time)
- Part-time housekeepers
Schedule: Monday through Friday. Some flexibility with off-hours when needed due to principal’s travel or emergencies. Daily hours: 9 AM – 5 PM
General – assisting COS and taking on various duties as requested by principal
- Maintain financial reports to keep principal and COS aware of status of their entities
- Assist with bookkeeping functions on QuickBooks
- Become familiar with filing system for household accounts and tax-related materials
- Possible IT support depending on expertise
- Upkeep of FileMaker Pro database
- Support COS by familiarizing yourself with all external relations; banking, investment, accountants and legal
- Learn important colleagues and friends in principal’s life
- Cross train in all departments for coverage
- Upkeep of FileMaker philanthropy database and report preparation using both Excel and Filemaker database.
- Assist with foundation/philanthropic correspondence – must be articulate and compose well written letters and memos
- Collaborate with principal and COS on philanthropic and personal functions/events/parties
- Help create website for family fund and keep up to date
- Respond to and follow up with foundation-related phone calls, set up conference calls, invitations, etc.; keeping track and coordinating with the principal’s calendars and communicating with team on updates
- Board meeting schedules; collection of data, reports, minutes and agendas for board committees
- Learn philanthropy processing, tracking and filing systems and assist in keeping up to date
- If needed run errands and shop for supplies and personal items
- Pitch in with staff when needed; last minute, special events or possibly when staff is out sick
- Drive principal on occasion
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of accounting and strong Math and Computer skills with meticulous attention to detail is required.
- Mac and MS Office based office; demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and QuickBooks, experience with Filemaker database is a plus.
- Ability to work with grandfathered staff is mandatory!!!
- Keeping principal’s confidentiality honored at all times – with in-house staff as well as outside vendors
- Open to attending professional development workshops or classes (encouraged)
- Love working autonomously as well as with a team in a private home or office setting
- Past experience working as an assistant for C-level employer or as a personal assistant in a private residence or both
- History of long-term employment
- Friendly and flexible
- Ability to talk to people from all walks of life; dignitaries to staff/vendors!
- Excellent writing skills; grammar, watching for typos – auto correct, good proof-reader, eloquent and proper in execution as you will be writing for the principal
- Good conversationalist, outgoing, positive attitude
- Maintaining grace, style, protocol at all times
- College degree and strong academic performance is a positive addition
- Clean background check and verifiable references
- Valid drivers’ license, auto insurance and reliable transportation
Work style: Partner with Chief of Staff and Principal - please note though that much of the job will be assisting COS and often entails working alone.
- Salary - Non-exempt status; rate of pay open to the right person
- Overtime – time and a half
- Bonus - discretionary
- Medical insurance – California Choice - 100% Kaiser Gold B or that amount applied to other company-offered insurance
- Vacation – two weeks
- Sick days – complies with San Francisco sick-leave policy
- National holidays – several off during the year – Christmas, New Year’s Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and Thanksgiving Day. (7) Generally household staff will plan vacation with Principal’s schedule.