Household Chef - San Francisco and Wine Country (Summers and weekends.) This position reports directly to the Estate Manager.
Monday through Friday and flexible for weekends if events or guests are in town. Summer schedule varies, but typically Monday - Friday unless there is an event.
Summary of Job
- Create fresh seasonal, healthy, fresh, organic meals and snacks for young family with three children under the age of seven.
- Create and work with the Family on weekly menus.
- Implement both new and favorite recipes in the weekly menus.
- Favorite recipes must be consistent in preparation and flavor.
- Meals must be plated or self-serve, striking a balance between both.
- Meals will be served but most nights you can leave directly after service.
- Responsible for stocking and maintaining inventory of kitchen items and fresh staples and favorites at all times - dry and refrigerated.
- Stock house with items for snacks and food for Family to prepare breakfast and dinner on weekends.
In other words, you are fully responsible for all aspects of the kitchen.
- Cook dinners for children to be served by 5:30 and parents by 7:00 pm
- Create breakfasts that Mister can eat on the way to work daily.
- Create snacks for the children and other foods to be served throughout the day by the childcare providers.
- Always have the house(s) stocked with food. No prepared foods from grocery stores unless specifically requested by principals.
- Prepare weekly menus.
- Keep book of menus, likes/dislikes and recipes that the family likes – modifying as palates change or dietary needs evolve.
- Keep up on food trends and new purveyors as well as food precautions to keep the family as healthy as possible.
- Keep kitchen perfectly clean and hygienic at all times; careful while cooking since children are around (open kitchen.)
- Check pantry and freezer for expiration dates; toss anything that is suspicious or older than 2 days old.
- Submit receipts to Estate Manager on a monthly basis.
- This is a well-stocked kitchen in terms of equipment, but if you find a need for something new ideas are always welcome – just ask!
- Friday is a long day due to preparing for weekend.
- Occasional cooking for staff (typically birthday lunches, etc.)
- Guest care and consideration for dietary desires – occasionally.
- Events and parties - a few during summer and Jewish holidays during the year as well as other events occasionally.
- Clean as you go and clean before you leave!
- Prefer quiet and respectful – happy chef!
- Remember you are the butler – chef – housekeeper when it comes to the kitchen and pantry. Deep cleaning of oven, stove and outdoor BBQ is done by housekeeper, but chef responsible for daily cleaning of these areas and should be considerate.
Specific Dietary Notes
- Strictly organic, fresh, small batch, farmers markets, butchers - no shopping at large grocery stores unless it’s for bottled water or items along that line.
- Must know how to use a GREEN EGG barbeque.
- No goat/sheep dairy products EVER. EVER.
- No parsley, oregano, rosemary, sage, or thyme.
- No duck, quail, veal, bone marrow, foam, gelatin or other rich types of cooking.
- Low/no carb – protein and veggies.
- Kids can have whole grain, organic, unprocessed carbohydrates.
- Conservative with salt (Mrs. has a salt
- Excellent salary
- Health Coverage - Kaiser Platinum 100% paid for by employer for employee only
- 10 paid vacation days - can roll over into next year but capped at 15 days
- 5 paid holidays