Job Title: Hands-on Household Manager
Location: Quogue, Long Island, New York
Schedule: Typically, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., but flexible and available for evenings and weekends if needed
Home Environment: Informal but professional, organized, efficient, caring and happy.
Overview: They need someone to oversee, manage and actively monitor their Long Island estate, both property and staff. The successful candidate will maintain and develop household systems and handle the daily needs of the principals. This will include maintaining and building support/back up staff and vendors, maintaining excellent communication between the mister, missus, staff and vendors to bring the level of service to high standards that the principals are accustomed to. Our clients are looking for an employee that will be a long-term fit.
This empty nesting couple expect that all of their staff will be professional while maintaining proper and kind protocol with their family, friends, guests, staff and vendors. They favor discretion. It is important to keep their privacy honored at all times throughout the hiring process and once in the position. They are looking for strong performance, communication and people management skills.
Personal Assistant (Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m.) reports directly to Mr. and will work with Household Manager when tasks overlap.
Housekeeper/cook (Monday through Friday – 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.) will report to the Household Manager
- Manage daily operations of home and property
- Maintain and set up systems to create efficiency, reducing costs without sacrificing standards
- Keep track of household activities, maintenance and progress
- Oversee and respectfully manage staff and vendors, cross-communicating with staff as needed, creating a team environment
- Manage the 7-10 outside household vendors that regularly serve the property and such others as may be periodically necessary
- Mentor existing staff, providing training and coaching as needed
- Oversee hiring, training or termination of staff when required
- Schedule staff and maintain online calendar noting sick days and vacation time
- Manage and maintain project, event and construction timelines for projects with vendors and subcontractors
- Arrange for maintenance, car washing and detailing of two luxury cars.
- Manage small home computer network
- Changing light bulbs and small appliance repairs
- Arrange for delivery of groceries and household supplies
- Address each project with full analysis by providing multiple bids, costs, timelines and materials necessary; present to principals for approval
- Maintain and update their Household Manual and inventory lists
- Responsible for updating calendar when personal assistance is not available
- Manage guest care; being on hand, assuring their comfort, rooms readied, special needs/foods, laundry turnaround, travel, car, activities, etc.
- Estimated entertaining (2-3 times per year) for 2 – 20 guests
- Provide concierge service by researching and booking restaurants, theatre, sporting and travel
- Packing and unpacking for mister as needed
- Plan events with principals and staff to assure the smooth running of each event
- Occasional driving required
- Previous experience/training working in high-end homes
- Experience managing staff with a good track record for long term employment retention of team
- Previous hands-on experience working in a private home
- Knowledge of care of fine furniture, surfaces, wall coverings, antiques and collectibles, china and crystal
- High level of intelligence, clear and concise communicator
- Organized and quick paced
- Self –starter/self-motivated but with ability to take direction from principal
- Management with a smile and great understanding
- Diplomacy, graciousness, kindness
- Maintain professional boundaries
- Sense of humor, even keeled
- Excellent driving records, skilled and safe driver
- Experience working with computers, household systems technology
- Experience in managing construction projects and other household systems
- Execute confidentiality
- Must be pet friendly
A service heart proud to ensure that their principals’ life-style and service standards are being met if not exceeded.
- Attractive salary DOE
- Health insurance
- Uniforms provided (khakis/chinos and polo shirts)
- Office space provided for Household Manager in separate space on first floor of residence
Live-in Accommodations: This is a live-out position
Locals are preferred